PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Korean Air for expats
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2013, 16:18
Keylime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe with all of the information that has been posted here the last 5-6 years about KAL that people still go there. The only reason to go there is if you don't have any other prospects. As a Captain you are, for the most part, single piloted most of the time. When you get into Western airspace where English is the native language the majority of first officers CANNOT handle the radios. They cannot fly an approach with any crosswinds or without an ILS glideslope. Even though it is against SOP's(as defined in the FOM) to fly and handle ATC communications, many times it is safer than trying to correct the constant communication mistakes by the Korean pilot monitoring who is supposedly ICAO Level 4 or better. IF KAL and Asiana had an HONEST language testing system less than 40% of the Korean pilots would pass the minimum required language testing. I have witnessed Korean F/O's talk to ATC and then translate the instructions to the Korean Captain in Hangul. Any foreigner who has flown over there is not surprised by the Asiana accident. The only surprise is that it did not happen sooner. Could just as easily have been KAL as Asiana.

Last edited by Keylime; 1st Aug 2013 at 12:16.