PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flydubai to Bangkok and beyond?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2013, 13:43
Iver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just go out and lease some 787s...

C'mon FlyDubai.... You have access to cash - go out and lease 10-15 787-800/900s from the big leasing companies and get into the medium/long haul game!!!! The 787s are not a part of EK's fleet so they won't be confused with EK aircraft and the operating economics will allow for continued low fares for typical airfare-conscious FlyDubai passengers. With primarily large 777, A380s and upcoming A350s, EK does not have the equipment to always match the low-fare competitors and leisure-specific destinations. The EK A330s are leaving and FlyDubai will not be able to easily connect Southeast Asia with 737-800s. Obviously A330s would work for FD too (and likely available sooner), but their operating economics are not as great as the 787 (when they are not broken on the ground) and the A330s would not be a great selling point or a differentiator vs. AirAsiaX and others.

If FlyDubai does not make a move for this market, AirAsia X, Scoot and Norwegian Longhaul (in addition to cheap Chinese travel alternatives) will fill the void for low-cost leisure travel between Europe/ME and Southeast Asia and Australia. There will always be more customers who are willing to pay less than pay more for travel - especially to leisure/holiday destinations. The low-cost market to Southeast Asia from the ME and Europe is there and ready to be tapped. The question is: can FlyDubai take advantage of their existing infrastructure and brand name in the ME before the other LCCs move in to fill the void? 7 hour 737-800 flights probably won't be sufficient.

Last edited by Iver; 26th Jul 2013 at 15:37.