PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety questioned at Hong Kong Airlines?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2013, 14:55
Hoo Flung Pooh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White None is correct, iCadet doesn't necessarily mean local, however I can assure you cyrex, our excellent local STC's and TC's are very aware, as are many of the more senior pilots, that CX has a big, big problem on its hands with respect to the current generation of pilots joining.

As a side note, is it just me, or is everyone sick and tired of HKCAD, HKA and CX all stating that "Safety is our number one priority"?

It's simply a marketing slogan, and that's about the extent of it.

Let's see...

16 years ago, new Directly Entry Second Officers would have about 3,000 - 5,000 hours of either Military, Jet Airliners, Regional Airlines or General Aviation under their belts. In conjunction with the excellent excellent cadets. We had a very healthy mix of experience and inexperience joining our ranks.

Everyone would then do :

A full First Officer Conversion in the Simulator leading to approximately 16-18 simulators.

Be rostered for 1 simulator module session per month as part of their on going training program as an S/O.

Upon JF/O upgrade, they would do a 3 Base Training Sessions in the actual aircraft, followed by a 60 sector JF/O upgrade course before being checked out.

Cut forward to today...

A typical new S/O has 200-300 hours. That's it. Very, very few experienced joiners.

Second Officer Simulator Conversion is only now a handful of simulators (5-6)

Instead of doing 1 simulator module per month, as years gone by, they now do 1 every 2 months.

Instead of 3 aircraft Base Training flights, that's been cut back to 2 sessions.

The JF/O upgrade course has also now been reduced by 6 sectors, making a full course 54 sectors instead of the original 60.

So you can see at every point, the training program has been cut back and this isn't for guys with 3,000-5,000 hours, it's for new joiners today who have typically 200-300 hours. Guys that can't afford the training cut backs, but instead should be having more.

Remind me again how this fits into the marketing slogan "Safety is Our Number One Priority".