PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2013, 09:10
Tarq57

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
TBH, looking at the pictures of the wreckage under removal, I think that some of the more salient lessons to come out of this one will be those to do with survival aspects.

That aircraft is severely damaged, yet apart from the area around the tail, it more or less held together. Some of the seats had concertina-d. It's little wonder there were serious injuries. It would seem to me that the impact was pretty much at the upper limit of what could be termed a survivable accident.

Hopefully some direction or recommendations will come out, particularly to do with seat integrity and overhead locker restraints.

Secondly, I'm pi$$ed at those criticizing the airport fire crew that ran over the passenger. Without wanting to second-guess the outcome of the inquiry concerning that aspect of the accident, I would not be surprised in the slightest if that event is the part of it that will indeed be termed an accident. (As in: unavoidable.)

Nobody is likely to be harder on the driver of that fire tender than the person who was driving it.