PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EUROPA XS vs VANS RV6/9
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2003, 09:28
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't comment on the RV, never flown one.

Also can't comment on building a Europa, because I haven't done that. But I can comment on flying them - and I can't think of a better all-round machine. Excellent for touring, with 125kt cruise at only 15 litres of MoGas/hour. Extremely nimble, great fun for burning holes in the sky. Pity it's not allowed to aerobatic, that's the only criticism I have.

Lots has been said about the monowheel. If you are a competent tail-wheel pilot, you will have no problems. It's a little different to a standard tail-wheel - not much prop clearance means you can't raise the tail much on take-off, and wheel-landings are definitely out. But the stability during take-off and landing is no worse than any other tail-dragger I've flown, and during taxying, apart from the lack of differential braking, it's actually better than most tail-draggers.

There are two shares for sale at the moment in my Europa, for exactly the same price as I paid for my share 1 year and 80 hours ago, and there has been no lack of interest. So I don't believe they depreciate.

I will quite gladly take you flying some time if you can make it over to White Waltham, so you can see for yourself.

I don't want to put you off the RV, but please don't dismiss the Europa before you start.

FFF
----------------