PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2013, 11:36
Bastardeux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is? I thought they were fairly common?
The last report I read was 50% between the A and B.

yes they are, but the billions have already been spent. there seems to be a need for these aircraft you aren't seeing.
And billions more will be spent. I know exactly what the need for the aircraft is, I just seriously doubt that the need will be justifiable in an era of austerity.

so the marines with no F-35B would just switch to the super hornet/growler? the navy would go all growler/super bug? is that the plan? I'm just trying to see the logic
In a word, yes.

relax, you don't need to be rude. I probably got that impression when you said:

Quote:
The coming choice seems to be between all 3 variants being produced in far fewer numbers, or the A variant being the sole survivor in moderate numbers.
As I've already explained, 1200 is a far smaller total than the overall 2400, but it is also 70% of the Air Force's 1700 or whetever they wanted. Therefore, the A would go from far smaller to moderate in order size if the other variants got canned.

apparently the USAF being short of F-35s is a tragedy and everyone else being short of f-35s is a minor inconvenience.
You've already admitted yourself that the Navy doesn't care for it, and I've already made the point that the marines' capability in an age of exponential cost rises and defense cuts, is the least justifiable.

you are experiencing the jsf blues. its a common affliction that happens when you discover that a tri service aircraft isn't what you want because it hurts the service you think is most important. the only cure is a time machine back to the mid 1990s, before someone thought the whole thing up. what you are advocating is a JSF that isn't a JSF. but a single fighter for air forces, with the navies of the world and marines buying other things. thus not a joint program. if you think the JSF is suddenly going to become a single service fighter in the interest of saving, you are far far too late.
That's not what I'm advocating, that's what I'm predicting. Having spent time in the MoD, I know how poisonous defense cuts can be for inter-service co-operation. I'm sorry, but the service who's job it is to deliver air power is always going to have the upper hand in keeping the most air power assets, that's just how it works.