PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sharky Watch LIVE
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2013, 18:58
SpazSinbad

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Dump Down to VL if Required

'PhillipG' the F-35B/pilot combination will dump down to carry out a VL if the conditions for SRVL are beyond aircraft/pilot limitations. What these are we - the public - do not know - yet. Simulations will be carried out along with dry land simulated flights to a CVF deck but with variable winds, unlike CVF at sea steaming directly into the wind OR as required within limitations (determined by testing beforehand or during 2018).

'orca' is a making a point about limitations of wind whereas I'm making the point that unlike angle deck landings, with wind down the angle - that angled flight deck is moving away to the right all the time during a conventional angle deck approach, making lineup just that more difficult compared to an axial deck SRVL, where the option will be to have the wind straight down the centreline at all times, making lineup that much easier for the SRVLer.

IF the VACC Harrier carried out the first completely automatic VL back in May 2005 (with a beginning iteration of JPALS in use) then I foresee the F-35B being able to do a lot when JPALS (soon in use) will be available. We see the X-47B using the almost finished JPALS now for completely automatic conventional landings on CVN. Way to go if needed. As for a completely automatic SRVL on CVF - probably not because of the braking precision required by the pilot but I will wager the SRVLer will be able to take over from an automatic approach quite close to touchdown. We'll see.

VAAC Harrier Completes First Auto STOVL Landing

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 26th Jun 2013 at 19:03. Reason: Video says May 2005 for HMS Invincible VACC Harrier AutoLand