PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rise! Unemployed pilots in India
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2013, 06:15
Geebz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of the problem with some Indian new CPL holders are perceptions embedded in the psyche of many Indians. I lived there for over 4 years, while frequenting the country as a PIO for 12 years. I am married to an Indian/ have an extensive Indian family. More often than not I hear, "what will government do?"

That's like Christians leaving their fate up to God.

Government will do less for you than you ever expect so you need to go out and seize opportunities yourselves, else you'll likely never be satisfied in this line of work.

As a new CPL, with visions of direct entry into an airliner cockpit, you were quite very well duped by the training mills of the world, plenty of which exist in India. This has been an on-going problem in the US as well where you plow your life savings into getting all your licenses and finish up schooling only to find that since you have no actual experience... nobody will hire you.

Now some people have luck, the right connections, money, whatever, to get an airline job quickly. But for the vast majority of us who don't have the aforementioned, one must hustle and get motivated to sieze every opportunity available to build hours. If you wait around for the government to do this, life will pass you by.

This is a great profession, a good career. But it often takes at least 10+ years to realize that. A lot of so-called paying your dues in the meantime.

When I was going to flight school in 1988, guys ahead of me were getting hired as instructors, logging 1,000 hrs more then getting hired by an airline. But right when I graduated, the economy hit the skids. I couldn't find even one job teaching flying. So I went to work shining aircraft and offering to sit right seat on Part 91 flights. Slowly but surely I built my own clientele of students so that I could also teach flying and remain even more current that way. I had 3 jobs at any given time including working as an insurance agent, accounts receivables collector, and a stockbroker. I figured ways to intertwine all said jobs with aviation (using an airplane to go visit clients in Southern California, for example).

It took years but eventually I built up my flight time enough to get hired by an airline. Friends of mine who were in a similar position gave up and have office jobs today. Whereas I am a Captain for a major US airline. The government never came in to help me, nor did my parents or anyone else.

The point is, only you can shape your own destiny/ future. It may be a long tough road but the reward is doing a job that's better than most. I won't go so far as to say "doing what you love". That's cliche. I love flying, but not airline flying. This is a job that pays well and affords me usually half the month off along with mostly-free travel. That's a pretty good gig in the scheme of jobs. I wouldn't say I love it but I'd rather be doing this than sitting in an office or building houses. There are drawbacks, sure, most of us on here know what those all are but to stay on point the rewards exceed the detractors.

So rather than complaining about what government will do for you. Move on, move forward, and go out to stake your claim on life on your own. If government does something for you (they do more for new CPL holder in India than the US gov't does here in America, believe me... so at least be happy they do something), then that's just a bonus. But don't expect them to roll out the red carpet for your career trajectory.

95% of the aviators reading of my will find a reason to complain and do nothing. While 5% will either make a change in their career path to go out and find some traction, or they are already doing that now.

Some people get lucky, get hired early on, and make command by 23, 26, or 30. But for the rest of us we have to go out and make things happen else life will pass you by. It will take hard work no matter which way you slice it and government will have very little bearing on the overall outcome.

Last edited by Geebz; 26th Jun 2013 at 06:20.