PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL theory exams confusion (thanks EASA!)
Old 22nd Jun 2013, 10:30
James1809

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPL theory exams confusion (thanks EASA!)

Hi everyone, first post on here as I've usually found everything I need by using the handy search function but I'm in a right state of confusion at the minute.

I'm currently training for my PPL at East Mids having completed the law exam and, as of today, flight performance and planning exam.

I'm well aware of the changes coming in from 1st of September, 6 sittings now, each of 10 days blah blah. However in the Information Notice issued by the CAA (found here) it states: In the case of the two subjects 'Flight Performance and Planning' and 'Navigation', a student will need to pass both subjects prior to 1 September 2013 if examined to the old syllabus. No credit will be given for a pass in one subject only. Students who have not passed both subjects by 1 September 2013 will have to sit examinations to the new syllabus.

In simple terms, this translates to me as: Pass flight performance and planning and navigation before the end of August so you don't have to retake either of them to the new syllabus.

This is the approach I took and so today, about to sit the performance and planning exam (which I got 100% in, sorry, had to mention ), I mentioned to my examiner that I would hopefully pass this and then get Nav out of the way by the end of August. To which she explains that I actually have to pass ALL of the 7 theory exams by the end of August to avoid re-sitting the two exams to the new syllabus, not just the 2 exams themselves. This is contrary to the Information Notice issued by the CAA, and my examiner claims she has spoken to her boss and has gone over the wording a hundred times.

What the is going on?! Am I being a few sandwiches short of a picnic and mis-interpreted the Information Notice or is my examiner mis-informed?

Any examiners out there or anyone who knows exactly what the rules are regarding these two exams, could you please help a distressed trainee out?