PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tricky Interview questions..
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2013, 16:26
fightthepower

A question I've been asked is:

It's the last flight home and you know the commander has an appointment he needs to get hom to. On the last approach into home base he proceeds below minima with no contact. A go around would be the standard procedure in this situation, but the commander is intent on landing anyway. How do you react?

My answer would be to call minima and go around, maybe he's incapacitated. If no response what so ever, I would assume control and perform a go around interpreting his lack of response as an incapacitation. If he does respond with the intention of continuing, I would not interfere in fear of loss of control as a result of a struggle over the controls, flying att low altitude... I think it's a tricky one because the standard answer that the go around should be made might involve a physical struggle over the controls which I think would be a greater hazard to flight safety than to just follow the ILS down to ground. It would also depend on what weather could be expected.
Low n' Slow, I think you have an ok answer there. Personally, I would get on the radio and simply announce GA to ATC. No choice then, the Capt must do a GA.
Not that I would ever dare trying it or say it at an interview. But somebody once suggested to me that you can simply lean forward and retract the gear.