PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2013, 18:42
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Danny,

It seems to me that the RAF you served in at that time, was being given the same treatment that our modern forces are. My simple (it has to be I'm a simple bloke) analysis would suggest that politicians always take advantage of conflict reduction to accomplish force reduction. and always with the guarantee of modernising, upgrading or more efficient cause that our elected representatives use in their always hubristic attitude to anything they have a genuine lack of knowledge on. I doubt, as now, anyone would have stood against the tide of promises of future benefits from such cuts, but, history shows us we had some close calls along the way.

Perhaps the wrong thread to mention it but we live now in an age where many warn about threats to our country. Even our government raises concerns about defending ourselves from radical Islamists etc, and yet, at the same time our economy dictates cutting the very people that can do anything about it. Unlike the 1930s I see no, modern, Winston on the horizon (let alone in the currently elected bunch) who have the vision to cut through the bull. Perhaps your generation may have had similar thoughts.

Best regards Danny

Nil illegitimi carborundum (as they say) !

Smudge