PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Pressurization 'peaks' cause damage to body? (packless tkof)
Old 13th Jun 2013, 10:26
PH-Chucky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all of your answers!

So apparently not a big deal? I still wonder why Airbus made a complete "fixed pre programmed law" with a logic to pressurize the cabin and to increase passenger comfort. But that the moment the packs are switched on, a huge peak of pressure is recorded (-1000ft v/s). Is there a flaw in the Airbus logic because I still find it unnecessary that such a huge pressure peak is noticeable in the aircraft after switching on the packs.....

@oceancrosser
It's all about engine wear/tear. We already 'flex' during takeoff and we set climb thrust at 1000ft AAL. And now the company has made the "packs off" takeoff as SOP because apparently it reduces the engine's EGT a couple of degrees during TKOF and sometimes results in a higher FLEX temp, resulting in fewer maintenance costs.

@EcamSurprise
Never noticed any discomfort? Please press the "PRESS" button on you ECAM control panel. I am interested in your findings.

@Capn Bloggs
Our SOP is that at 1000ft/1500ft reduce from takeoff power to climb power. Thereafter we switch on PACK 1, and wait at least 10 seconds before switching on PACK 2. The high v/s I noticed was during our 'normal procedures' by only switching on the first pack.

@bubbers44
Passenger comfort is not all I care about. What about safety and costs? Do you always use low braking to increase passenger comfort and challenge an overrun? Or is your company flying on this NASA jetfuel that doesn't ignites in a crash but makes a ticket 5x more expensive...? There is always tension between safety, costs and comfort. But in hot-weather situations I will keep the packs on to keep the temperature controlled. And on a contaminated runway covered with de/anti-icing fluid I tend to switch the packs off to prevent contamination of cabin air.

@The African Dude
Thanks for your remark about stress. It's just that I am very curious about this high cabin pressure peak that can be eliminated by keeping the PACKS ON during takeoff.

@nitpicker330
Interesting observation about the workload.