PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2013, 19:36
John Farley

Do a Hover - it avoids G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuffy

No I am not endorsing the F-35B in particular just trying to explain why I think there are many piloting advantages to being able to hover before landing.

The F-35B is a fly by wire aircraft so the handing is whatever the pilots want. The GR9 standard Harrier had better handling than the GR1 but in no way can it be compared to the immaculate standard provided by fly by wire.

I don't see why you would you want to fly an F-35B up a mountain. 42 years ago PR exercises were appropriate to show VSTOL to a world that was not aware of what it offered.

glad rag

In order to give the customer what he asked for (supersonics, stealth and a VL in one aircraft) the F-35B configuration is the best available. But it necessarily requires considerable complexity. Whether this leads to unreliability on the front line remains to be seen. Given modern engineering standards it may not- but clearly it could. Compared to the Harrier the complex systems necessary in the B clearly provide a different order of headache when it comes to combat damage. However the Harrier did not have any defensive aids untill well into its career - unlike the F-35B. As to handling at low speed (or any speed for that matter) the F-35B's handling will never be in doubt and removes at a stroke the Harrier selection, training and currency issues.