PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 6th Jun 2013, 23:27
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But, You had to be there.

Rather than be bored fartless wading through the howling of those that bay at the full moon dressed in rose coloured underwear; I dusted off the last estimates Hansard and compared some of the passages of play to the recorded version. Pages 107 to 110 inclusive were, to say the least, fascinating to an admitted political dunderhead.. Thought I might float them and see what some of the more astute learned colleagues made of them.
Senator XENOPHON: I have got two more questions. What prompted you to focus on the Bankstown office?
I wonder why Sen.X has his eagle eye on this particular office, out of the many?
Senator XENOPHON: Was there any material associated with the report, such as a covering note or notes attached to that report, that CASA did not provide to the committee? You may want to take that on notice. In other words, as part of the extensive process of obtaining documents as part of the preliminary enquiry, the many boxes of documents, we got the report—
Senator XENOPHON: I would urge you to take this on notice, in fairness to you.
Senator XENOPHON: Were there any covering notes or any associated materials with that report that were not provided to the committee?
Senator XENOPHON: My understanding is that there was not a covering note or any associated note with the report, but I would like to know whether there was one ?
If I were ever asked a series of questions like that by Sen.X I would be wondering, very hard, exactly what he had tucked away in his brief case, wouldn't you?? On notice now.

Then there is the intriguing bit where McComic doesn't feel able to 'honestly' answer 'background' questions on CAO 48 by Sen. Rhiannon because the document is not in front of him – despite it being offered. Then in steps the doughty Mrdak, once again pouring oil on the troubled waters. That must have been an interesting dinner break, Lasagne and a well thumbed CAO 48 for dessert. Humble pie is not served – ever.

Top of P 108, more questions to go on notice, then the loaded gun "will I hear from CASA afterwards"? – No says the Chair, but you will formally hear from Mrdak and the answers will be on record. So where are they???, these dinner break epiphanies. Seems all answers are now to come from the minister via Mrdak; which of it's self is strange seeing as the questions are legitimate for Estimates.

A little later, we have Heffernan, struggling to be heard over the 'noise complaints' lady, who stood up, parked right in front of the microphone and proceeded to kick up a hell of a racket. Meanwhile Heff is trying to raise concerns over some "pretty serious issues" raised by a letter from a solicitor in Cooma. All agreed that there was to be a 'conference' (off stage) with key people as "this is not an issue to muck about with". Having decided that a cosy chat was to eventuate (one hopes the minutes are available), they were off and racing the bloody clock again. Considering the amount of time everything else takes, I was curious as to why the demon "clock" ruled, perhaps everyone was just hungry.

Sen. Edwards wonders about meetings with the minister, McComic hasn't been invited and Mrdak, once more into the breach' covers the 20 accidents mentioned and the 26 recommendations as being a matter of urgency but it is, after all the ministers call. Not sure I like these "serious" issues being discussed behind closed doors, at all.
Mr Mrdak: I undertook that this morning and the government will respond in a very timely way, I believe.
Fascinating stuff, I guess M. Mrdak esq. has decided to stage manage the whole thing seeing as how his two Muppets now toddle about the place with "Kick me" signs stuck on the back of their shiny suits. Aye, passing strange are the ways of gummint.

Last edited by Kharon; 6th Jun 2013 at 23:32. Reason: Bloody spacing -