PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2013, 11:31
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
Alsoa low pax but I have bene interested in the 'debate' if thats not too grand a word over the why return to LHR issue.
More recent posts point out that the fire , potentially the greatest hazard , did not start until already established or close to finals and at that point Brize is miles away and STN behind you.

When the probelms started however I would have thought that the crews decsion to continue at least initially on the SID was very sensible, it takes them towards LTN or STN if things go pear shaped in a hurry but more importantly they are in protected airspace and so do not need all sorts of vectors etc from atc to avoid traffic in what seems to be an extremely busy bit of airspace.

Overall it gave me s a regualr passenger agenerally good feeling about BA as the crew seemed to have adapted toa difficult situation ina very calculated way and I felt the outcome reflected very well on BA flight crew ( leaving aside the issue of whether they could or should have seen unlatched cowl doors) ,. Perhaps not so good on the maintenance organsiation but even then there seem to be questions asked about whether a decade of cut backs have perhaps gone too far.
One thing does seem a real issue though is that with aparently 30plus instances of cowl doors falling off or being unsafe after getting the responsible contractor AB or IAE really does need a better method of latching