PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ISS staff vote for strike - another bonus of PAYD!
Old 31st May 2013, 11:55
SOSL

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi JTO. At #13 you said
Are we really criticising RAF chefs??

I have found them to be outstanding

I'm with you. RAF Chefs and cooks were/are tremendous.

The food at Cranwell when I started my RAF career was a real morale booster for a young guy in his first few months away from home. I even got to enjoy Brown Windsor Soup!

In all my subsequent tours in RAF staffed messes, I enjoyed the everyday food enormously. And I never left a Guest Night or Dining in Night without feeling I had enjoyed a seriously good feast.

When I got married, sometime in the last century, I held my reception for about 90 people in the mess. All the catering was done by RAF cooks - even the wedding cake! It was great.

(I the early 70's I lived in the mess at Salalah. The head Chef (civilian) was called Uniz, he was from the sub-continent and his Crayfish Thermidor, his curries and things he used to do with eggplants (brinjal) were just wonderful.)

On the other hand, I spent some time living in contractorised messes, in the UK, in the last few years before I retired and I found the food and service was tremendous.

One Sunday, on a lonely standby (in the bar), civi cook comes through and asks me what I would like for lunch, no menu offered, so I told him what I would like. Half an hour later he brought it through to the bar on a tray. So no complaints there!

Rgds SOS

Last edited by SOSL; 31st May 2013 at 12:13.