PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2013, 12:13
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agaricus bisporus

Screwdrivers !

I am very buch in disagreement with you about the screwdriver, I have not a chance of getting mine on to LGW or any other UK airport, as fight crew it would seem that those in security cant or wont except that on occations I need to check the fuel sticks or check a cowling is locked.

You are correct as to the airside "tools of the trade" rules but getting any logical or sensable answers form those involved with security as to what a pilot can carry on duty is next to imposable as they all spend most of the time gold plating the rules just to cover their own six.

The other problem is that what is good for one UK airport is not good at another when it comes to what a crewmember may take airside.

The bottom line is that flight crew are now so distrusted by security that they cant carry tools that in the past have been used to check things that might not strictly be part of their job discription but were worth a quick look at on a walk around inspection and by doing so the security system has removed the last back stop in a flight safety system.

Last edited by A and C; 29th May 2013 at 12:15.