PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2013, 10:57
gcal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@555

Yes they put devices on cars to prevent bonnets opening in motion but this did not prevent it happening to Renault Clio cars, and not rarely either. I witnessed this on a busy road and it was an extremely dodgy moment as the driver would have had no view forward.
At no time were these vehicles recalled to fix this potentially dangerous fault (In fact I do not believe a car has ever been recalled by the UK authorities for any reason, and I can only speak in this for the UK) and the matter was passed off as a maintenance problem or lack of maintenance/user problem.
A new more robust latch was fitted through the good will of dealers and on request; hushed up if you will.
In short the regulatory authorities were slow to act and their response was about as good as a chocolate tea pot.

Perhaps we are in a similar position here and in an industry which has a history of disasters caused by bits falling off despite some of them being deemed 'fail safe' a term which should be an oxymoron.
Was it not widely mooted that the Aer Lingus Viscount that crashed back in the 60s in the Irish Channel could have been a victim of a catering door or hatch coming loose and destroying part of the empanage?
I believe the HS748 had similar problems and we are all aware of the DC10 debacle.
Somewhere I have photo of a BCAL 707 on which a nose wheel door detached. The door hit the leading edge of the wing then made a deep crease upwards and along the main body, then on up the fin (due to one of the tyres having been inflated with air and being damaged on the take off run, so perhaps and exception but one that could have been avoided).

Bits falling off aircraft that could/should have been properly secured and by the present stage of aviation (Murphy factor excluded) should pretty much have been eliminated.

Perhaps we should be thankful that due to the diligence of those involved these things happen as seldom as they do.

My thoughts for what they are worth and Murphy never seems to go away and rest in peace.