PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2013, 07:21
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turin

Yes you are correct about my speculation as to the security of the cowl latches but it is difficult to come to any other conclusion.

It is clear from video evidence that the upper attachment of the cowls was secure and the simultaneous failure of multiple fasteners on two engines is so unlikely that I think it can be dismissed.

In short the evidence for the cowls being unsecured is overwhelming and knowing how they are secured I can't see any other explanation for the departure of the cowls on both engines.

The reason that the system failed to pick up this error before the aircraft left the ground is what is unclear BA has clearly got some very good flight crew but engineering has always been the Cinderella department of BA both in terms of finance and the way highly trained staff are treated by the management, I have to speculate that the reasons for this error are buried deep in the culture within BA maintenance as with the BAe1-11 incident, add to this the removal by airport "security" of the flight crews ability to double check the cowl security and all the holes in the Swiss cheese line up.

I am sure that the AAIB will get to the truth of the matter.

Last edited by A and C; 25th May 2013 at 07:31.