PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2013, 20:51
Fox3WheresMyBanana

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think we really have to wait for the investigation on this one.

Note the following points from the report kindly posted by WhyByFlier (#203)
  1. Eighty per cent of the Airbus latches inspected were found to be below the manufacturer's specified minimum latch tension.
  2. Retention springs were observed to be broken or missing on several latch assemblies.
  3. In some installations, the handle latch pins were found broken. This appeared to be due to improper assembly and installation.
So the groundcrew and aircrew may have carried out their checks competently.

I've had a intake panel come loose shortly after takeoff - flapping around like crazy but fortunately didn't detach.

Flew min. speed, had the benefit of a visual inspection from a certain England rugby player (thanks mate!) I was due to play with, and landed back at base (nearest) in about 7 mins.
Turned out to be worn engagement catches - not my or the groundcrew's fault. Everything looked secured but wasn't. I think the servicing schedule was changed to minimise the opening of that panel, which the designers had not intended to be opened that often.

p.s. Land ASAP needs to be balanced with Know Your Aircraft. I have done quite enough sim.instruction, and a real accident investigation caused by 'rushing it', to know that you are better off sometimes knowing the drills are complete than chucking the aircraft down on the nearest piece of concrete. I vote we give the crew the benefit of the doubt on the Stansted/LHR decision.

Last edited by Fox3WheresMyBanana; 24th May 2013 at 20:58.