PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 15th May 2013, 22:40
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“All paths lead to Rome!”

Whoa kicked over the hornet’s nest with that last post, however what I think it highlights is that everyone is entitled to his and her opinion and we all have different paths to follow on the way to retribution…

…PNM makes a good point on the Annex 19 implementation phases as outlined on page 76 of the SMM, headed ‘3.4 SSP IMPLEMENTATION - PHASED APPROACH’. Which could effectively mean it may be many years before full implementation of the SSP proper. However that doesn’t mean that a State can subvert the planning processes in the meantime…

…Lefty has been nothing but consistent with his concern that the crew of NGA were not entirely blameless and shouldn’t be given a pardon in all this…

…The pessimists (of which Lefty has shown allegiance) have a point as well…i.e. “we’ve seen all this before..Senate inquiries, industry outrage etc..etc but yet nothing changes. Why should this be any different?”

I could go on but the major point is that people are generally concerned enough (approaching 400k reads), albeit for various motivations, to keep reading, absorbing and staying involved with monitoring this thread, and indeed the Senate inquiry itself.

Overall this concern manifests itself as a very real concern for the state of aviation safety in Oz and will this?..could this?…possibly be the final straw, the panacea, the nirvana that finally brings it all to a head?

We all live in hope and we all follow different paths to Rome, the main thing is that we all finally arrive at the same destination in one piece!

Top catch “K”! And top timing Ben!

Ben’s article is so relevant that it is worth regurgitating in whole:
Lion Air Bali crash reports damns airline’s safety

The captain of the brand new Lion Air 737-800 that crashed into the sea near Denpasar’s airport in April took control of the jet at an altitude of 150 feet after the junior pilot repeatedly complained he could not see the runway, according to a preliminary report by Indonesia’s air safety authority.

The captain then attempted a ‘go around’ from an altitude of only 20 feet, moments before the flight hit the water within wading distance of the sea wall at the end of the runway, seriously injuring four of the 108 people on board the jet.

The National Transportation Safety Committee in Jakarta recommended Lion Air “review the policy and procedures regarding the risk associated with changeover of control at critical altitudes or critical time”.

It added the fast-growing airline should also “ensure the pilots are properly trained” on this subject.

In a Reuters report Lion Air’s co-founder Rusdi Kirana said he would respect the outcome of the investigation, but voiced dismay at the interim recommendations which were directed solely at the airline.
“If our pilots make mistakes we are not scared to admit it, but we are not happy just blaming the pilots without proof,” he said.
“It is important not to give people the impression that we don’t have proper procedures. We take safety seriously, we are a profitable airline and we are not going to limit our budget on training and maintenance.”

The interim report, which is available in English, is a model of no nonsense clarity and factual detail. It points to the decision of another flight that experienced the sudden onset of the rainy conditions on approach to Denpasar to go around shortly after Lion Air’s on-time but not-at-airport water landing.

The Indonesian report shames the ATSB’s efforts in relation to the ditching of an air ambulance near Norfolk Island in 2009, in which it issued a report which failed to reference grave deficiencies in the safety standards of operator Pel-Air at the time, or question the failed oversight of CASA, and loaded all the blame onto its pilot.
List the ironies in that lot…sheesh where do you start?

Ok I will kick it off…

Perhaps we should remember that the ATSB preliminary report into the ditching of VH-NGA was pitched in a similar vain, see ‘here’. It wasn’t till after the release of that report that everything went south…don’t think that’s going to happen in the Lion Air case do you?

There’s more much more! Meanwhile I’m outta here..

Thanks Lefty I was aware of that...you've just pointed out another irony i.e. the Indons have been mentored by the now 'old school' ATSB/BASI and it looks like they've learnt their lessons well, no 'beyond all reason' for them!

Last edited by Sarcs; 15th May 2013 at 23:39. Reason: Even pessimists live in hope!