PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 50 Years of the Fabulous 500.
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2013, 08:55
Dennis Kenyon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a Hughes 500 which has been following me around over the years so I thought I would post some photos of her in case anyone is interested. She's changed registration several times but her serial no. is 450738S or 738 for short.

I've been involved in selling her on between owners several times now during which time she's been in my care.

My first involvement with 738 was in 1986 when I bought her on a part exchange from then owners Cosworth Engineering of Northampton.

It was at this time that her C20 was replaced by a C18 and I sold her to Brian Wronski who cherished her for many a year. Up until now she still wore here original registration of G-BDOY.

In about 1990 Brian sold her to another Brian, this time Brian Stein of 'Gee-Gees' polo fame who registered her as G-GEEE, when I acquired her again as a part exchange for a later model 500E.

This time I sold her to that affable gentleman, Steve Giddings who, among other things, added the latest Nordam 'all glass' nose and registered her as G-GSPG.

And finally - just over a month ago I acquired her again, selling her to another super gentleman, one Johan op De Beeck who I am currently training up at Shobdon from the Tiger Helicopters facility. As with almost every sale, she has changed registration yet again as in now on the American register flying as N488NS.

Hope this isn't too boring but perhaps someone is interested to follow the craft's journey over the years.

Like several other comments on this thread, I've always enjoyed flying the 500. A very nimble aircraft with crisp responsiveness.

G-BDOY when I first bought her from Cosworth Engineering

'In the shop' as G-GEEE

'On the pad' as G-GSPG

And finally, as she is now, as N488NS

Regards to all PPRuNers,

Dennis