PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Serious security breach at Madrid Barajas Airport
Old 5th May 2013, 23:50
Steve6443

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The point has been made that security is never perfect, like everything else in life.
As regards the FBI involvement (or lack of) in the Boston case, well a conspiracy theorist might see politics involved somewhere.
Anyway, the point I would make here is that if we obsess about security to our own cost, we end up doing half the terrorist's work for them.
If a couple of smack head toe rags slip through, is it really time to re-jig the world's security proceedures?
Still I bet the chance was missed to administer some suitable advice round the car park...
And I bet they don't get unlimited detention at Guantanamo Hotel.
Personally, I think we should stop the charade that security checks will ever stop a terrorist and get rid of it. Let's think about it, not one single terrorist has been stopped by the security guys at an airport, however they have allowed numerous terrorists and bombs through - the underpants bomber, the shoe bomber, the bomb in a laser toner, to name but a few.

However (if) when plots are foiled, it's usually due to intelligence gained, so if we imagine the cost of security at airports, with their scanners and personnel costs, add to that the inconvenience of waiting for 30 minutes to be scanned (an hour plus at some airports), we could easily scrap airport security, double the number of intelligence staff whilst making air travel an enjoyable experience once more, from start to finish......