PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TR and 500hours, still looking for a job???
Old 24th Apr 2013, 16:58
FlyHome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well from my point of view - I have around 230 hours on the A320, luckily I didn't pay for them but unfortunately the company went bust. I have been researching the options and it seems everything I come across, once you sift through the initial BS, is a p2f scheme. I honestly cannot believe anyone deals with these companies - they are all so dodgy and to give them large amounts of money is nothing short of madness. You have no guarantees, no idea when you will start, how long it will take and most importantly no clue as to the standard that this company will train you too - If it's bad what reputable airline will want to take you on? Rather than bashing those who do p2f, I have to say in my position I know exactly what they all feel - this is the quickest and most efficient way to get into the airlines.. however I really fear it's not... In fact I'm sure of it. Its a desperate situation for low hour guys who have invested so much into flying and it is very hard to accept the reality of the situation. But the reality is that there is a miniscule amount of jobs going for low hour guys and 500 hours on type from some dodgy operator isn't going to help - you may get lucky but do you want to risk it?

I have accepted the situation, have just got a job as an instructor, and am starting my FI course next week. I can't wait to do it, to improve my flying skills, build my hours, enjoy the teaching and climb my way back up the ladder. I am sure things will improve one day and in the meantime don't miss out on all the other great things aviation has to offer... If you start at 20 and retire at 65 that's 45 years in an airliner - honestly what is the rush?