PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RNZAF pilot awarded NZ Gallantry Medal
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2013, 09:46
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
I hesitate to introduce a sour note onto this thread, but reading the description of the action this seems a very niggardly award to give Sqn Ldr Pryor for his actions.

If I understand the New Zealand system correctly, like in the UK, after the Victoria Cross there are three levels of gallantry awards: the NZ Gallantry Star, the NZ Gallantry Decoration and the NZ Gallantry Medal. The last is described as replacing the mention in despatches, whereas the the NZ Gallantry Decoration is described as replacing, among others, the Distinguished Flying Cross. Surely an NZGD was merited here?

Many congratulations to Sqn Ldr Pryor, but it would seem that the RNZAF brass are as tight as those in the RAF when it comes to making recommendations for awards.

Ben tells me this is probably the first gallantry award to a RNZAF pilot for flying in combat since the Vietnam war
Sqn Ldr R J Klitscher, a helicopter pilot with 9 Squadron, RNZAF won the DFC in Vietnam in 1971, this may well have been the last award before the present one.

Last edited by Tankertrashnav; 21st Apr 2013 at 16:04.