PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should Pilots use the word 'clear' on the RT?
Old 19th Apr 2013, 23:35
learner001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ‘Tenerife’ accident has brought forward, quite intensively in those days, the avoidance of the words: “cleared” and “take off” . . .

UNLESS they were the ACTUAL CLEARANCE for TAKE OFF . . .

The phrases: “Ready for take off!” or “Request take off clearance!” were changed into “Ready for DEPARTURE!”

The phrase: “Request taxi clearance!” was changed into “Request taxi!” WITHOUT the word CLEARANCE.

The effort was, that the word CLEARED could only be associated distinctly with an ACTUAL CLEARANCE for ‘GETTING INTO THE AIR’ or landing . . .

Besides that, the only other use of the word CLEARED would be with an ‘ATC en route clearance’ . . .

In those days (in Europe) we were really indoctrinated with alternate wordings.

Nowadays, however, I find on more than one occasion, that I hear the: “request taxi/take off clearance!”; “Cleared to taxi!” or “Are we cleared for take off?”. . . etc. all over again. Where I have made it a habit to use: “Request taxi!”; “For taxi!”; “Request taxi approval!”; Ready for departure!”; “Taxi approved!”; “Confirm our departure is approved?” etc.

You could dream up numerous situations and phraseology of course . . .

Since then, I have always attempted to adhere to the effort of avoidance of ‘misleading phraseology’.

“Affirm!” could never be misheard by “Negative” is another example . . .

and indeed

"Runway vacated" instead of "Clear of the runway" or "Runway cleared" . . .

Kind regards, learner . . .

Last edited by learner001; 19th Apr 2013 at 23:39.