PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lionair plane down in Bali.
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2013, 01:37
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
precip lost lift

one thing that has not been mentioned is pinpoint precip in such high volumes that lift is litteraly washed from the wings...studied by NASA for some time.

I'd also like to remind some of the DC9 crashin KCLT in the early 90's...right around the time of the OJ simpson stuff.

crew went around in heavy rain ( I was there, on the ground...worst stuff I've ever seen...sky was GREEN) did not go to firewall thrust or even full go around thrust...no warning of rain from ATC...seq report back then didn't even have rain on it.

part of the problem, besides the thrust issue, was loss of visual ref and miscues...plane crashed...some 30 dead.

we also learned that the windshear gadget on the 9 wouldn't work in a bank over 15 degrees...

we shall see...but if things are bad and you don't have one hand on the throttles ready to JAM EM FORWARD MANUALLY, you might have lots of explaining to do.

oh...and there was an early 737-300 series that lost both engines in heavy rain, TACA, they landed on a leveee....maybe loss of thrust due to heavy rain...we shall see.