PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FMS vulnerabilities highlighed at Net Security conference
Old 14th Apr 2013, 18:13
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Ian W is being quite conservative in his scenarios.

There is a lot of "it couldn't happen" and "the manufacturer says it's impossible". Historically, many of these kind of statements have been made after a successful hack, though some sense of affront but also as a smokescreen. I bet there is some serious code reviewing going on behind the scenes at Honeywell et al. Given the option of a) running pre-existing code on a simulator or b) spending lots of money to write new code / make new hardware with identical functionality, I wonder what they did?

I think it is naive at best to assume that because a system was designed for a specific purpose it can't be coerced into doing other things. As pointed out previously in this thread, it's difficult enough (some would say impossible, given the time/energy requirements for computation with a complex system) to make sure that things do what they should let alone what they shouldn't.

Considering the hardware alone, do FMS manufacturers make their own chips or do they integrate other people's designs? I would think the latter. There are lots of hacks, undocumented features and failure modes in common units even when the silicon comes from well-respected designers/manufacturers.

Saying "these devices are only connected by communications links" is pretty hubristic. The Internet is only a communication link and look what happens if you plug an unprotected computer into it for a few seconds.

I was witness to a double FMC failure in a 777 brought on by nothing more than a specific bit of wind/temperature data (which could have come from the uplink). The A/P, A/T, LNAV, VNAV, performance data and the navigation database dropped out one after the other and left us with a with a solitary white triangle in the middle of a blank screen. We were somewhat concerned as we were just heading out across the Atlantic... Whether this could have been used as a vector for an exploit I have no idea but it does show that there was a QA hole in there and it is exceedingly unlikely that it was the only one.

Jamming doesnt make it appear in a different location, it just blocks the signal. The aircraft IRU would keep the aircraft on track, with a drift rate. Drift rates are measured in nm/hour.
GPS "spoofing" does exactly the above. Considering the relative distances between the two transmitters and the receiver, it doesn't need that much power from the rogue transmitter to overwhelm the genuine signal at the aircraft end. Granted, most modern nav kit uses blended positions from GPS, IRS, DME, VOR, etc. so would pick up on a gross error or at least show you that something untoward was happening.

I flew into Seoul yesterday and the brief had a note on it that NK had been doing some GPS spoofing of their own and to check the aircraft position using raw data. Given that the approach plate has "DO NOT ENTER THIS AIRSPACE AS YOU WILL BE FIRED UPON WITHOUT WARNING" printed on it, I thought this advice well worth heeding!