PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2013, 20:06
Danny42C

pulse 1,

I've been racking my brains trying to remember 1261 Sqn, Air Training Corps during my time at Thornaby ('52 - '54), and am sorry to say I've come up with nothing (which is not to say that there is nothing to remember).

A haphazard search in Google is no help. There is a great deal of reminiscence from the late '60s onwards, and of course detail from the war years, but the early '50s seem strangely blank.

Another source (published '92) says that Thornaby was placed on a C & M basis in Oct '58, and: "The only remaining living connection being the Air Training Corps, who use the only surviving airmens' barrack block". So it was there then - the question being when it was formed there. Can Blacksheep or any other reader help ? We should remember that the Cadets of that day would be around 15 years younger than my generation, so there should be a fair number around still.

If it can be established that they weren't there in '52/'54, then I'm exempt from Blacksheep's stricture ("the Cadets of 1261 Squadron were invisible to the real Air Force").

Cheers, Danny.