PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 12th Apr 2013, 17:54
King on a Wing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PAT-Tread carefully!

Scruff,
Eventually it will be EVERYONE flying for Qatar Airways who is ever looking at a transition/upgrade/admin or training post.
Currently ALL new hires will have to do the test. May not be immediate, but it WILL have to be passed eventually.
I'm sure someone will eventually come out with a software to mimick it close enough to get thru with 'pass marks'. Whatever that means.
But for now, and the next few months every pilot doing the PAT test will have to 'do it as it comes'. Seeing this result over a given period of time the Managment might tweak it a bit eitherways to 'suit' their personal requirements.
Till then its my very best to the all of you trying for it! And you're all gonna need it.
I know for a fact, as F14 pointed out correctly that this is not a test to underestimate or take lightly. Quite the contrary....!!!
Five screens, a joystick and a thrust lever can make 2.5 hrs the worst 2.5 hours of your entire aviation career. The actual test is only about 2.5 hrs but the Pre flight briefing lasts about one hour and then the post flight brief plus the video playback will take another hour and a half.
So be prepared to have the most confused and stressed out 5 hours of your life!
At the end, the results are quite satisfying.
It has enough weightage by itself to pass or fail your interview or assessment or upgrade. It's ALL about work and time Managment and loads of IQ and math problems.
But, all in all a very interesting test indeed!
Especially if you pass it...!!