PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRAMIS
Thread: BRAMIS
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2013, 15:43
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rev I. Tin
The BRAMIS system was introduced into RAFG in the early 90's ISTR as a toting system. From the dim and distant areas of memory I can recall attending a BRAMIS managers' course in the Wildenrath COC. By the time I returned to Bruggen in 97 BRAMIS had evolved into SOMA (Station Operational Management Aid) whereby flying programs, weather could be displayed. There was also a method of accessing ASMA through SOMA. I remember attending a two week SOMA Managers' course in some dark corner of High Wycombe where my brain melted with hard sums and such crackers as 1$!P (one dollar bang Pee)
I am assuming it was superseded by STARS, Intranet etc.
SOMA came in to hardened stations in UK around 1987 and was supposed to be replaced several times before it was eventually. RAF CCIS came in eventually around 1999-2000 (not to be confused with the 11 Gp System that was mega user unfriendly.

ASMA was linked in to SOMA by 1996 when I came back to the system.

The 'new' RAF CCIS was late coming in which meant that the SOMA Contract with Norsk Data and the inimical Frank Cook 1$!P had to be extended by some months.

I think BRAMIS was just another disconnected IT procurement where each command went its own inter-inoperable way.