PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AI Express looks to poach IAF pilots
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2013, 13:17
alouette3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AV8R,
I certainly repect and appreciate your point of view and perspective.I am not here defending the military guy in general.I know,from past and present experience, that they can be douche bags.However, ,just as I don't write off all civilian colleagues of mine as incompetent,all I ask for is a little reciprocal courtesy from the other side as well .For every one incident which you can relate of an egotistic ex military guy, I am sure I can relate an equal amount of incidents where the miltary guys are actually pretty good at their new job.Or ,conversely, I can certainly relate experiences of a civilian trained guy acting like a moron.
Not defending the attitudes or individuals here.Just attempting to explain the mindset.For one,even the most stringent critics of the military aviators will admit that military training was far more stringent than the average flying club educated guy.With due respect to the departed soul, a guy like Capt Renslow (of Colgan Air notoriety) would never have made it through any miltary training program.Does that make the ex AF/Navy guys feel a little superior? Absolutely.Are they justified? For sure. Does that make them a great fit for the airlines all the time? Absolutely not.It is all about training and temperament.And how the new employers of these guys handle them is crucial.And maybe that is where the failure lies,be it in your former airline or in Air India.
CRM? Everyone thinks that CRM was invented by the airlines.Not true.CRM existed in the miltary long before the airlines got hold of it and gave it a fancy name.But, I digress too and, maybe, that is a discussion for another day on another thread.
For now,let us just agree that there are no absolutes in this argument.And,if AIX wants to hire ready -made pilots who are ex IAF /IN guys to fill their openings,maybe it is not such a bad idea after all.Of course, it leaves a lot of hard working civilian guys working to make it to an airline in the dust and that is where,I suspect, all this anti military rants stem from.
Alt3.