PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wollongong fatal crash March 2013
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2013, 07:39
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by as350nut
Its with interest and sadness that I note the date of the report showing that in fact fuel bladders do work is 30/4/12. Sad because its only now; 3/4/2013, that a Airworthiness Bulletin ( still not an AD) is released stating in effect that the Service Bulletin and the date for tanks to be fitted with bladders is to be adhered to and in effect its not legal to fly after 30 April 2013. I know that reminders have been sent out but there are a lot of commercial operators and others who resist or lag behind on SB and only act on AD's.
I'd point out that CASA have been proactive:

On 26 June 2012, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) issued Airworthiness Bulletin (AWB) AWB 28-012 titled Robinson R44 Fuel Tanks. That AWB highlights the improvement in the 'post-crash survivability' of R44 helicopters that had been fitted with bladder-type fuel tanks. The AWB refers to a Robinson Helicopter Company Service Bulletin SB-78 that, depending on the Maintenance schedule affecting the individual helicopter, required the fitment of a bladder-type tank to all R44 and R44 II helicopters.

and

In October 2012, Robinson Helicopter Company brought forward the compliance date for SB-78B for affected R44 and R44 II helicopters to 30 April 2013. Given the reduced compliance time, on 5 February 2013 CASA sent a letter to all R44 operators recommending the installation of the bladder tanks and highlighting their responsibilities under regulation 42A(4) of the Civil Aviation Regulations 1988 (the CAR).

and the reminder that CAR41 and CAR47 require compliance with SB dates. I would suggest that the finger should be firmly pointed back at Robinson, but then we have the luxury of a compliant R44 and are not facing a grounding as are so many other owners.