PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR 2013 privatisation: the new thread
Old 4th Apr 2013, 18:06
Hummingfrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Al-bert. The RAF SAR Force - when did it become a force? - seems to have become totally overblown. My career path, if you can call it that was similar to Al's 2 tours SH in Germany and UK followed by a quick convex to SAR at Valley which was fairly rapid as I had more Wessex hours than most of the ex Whirlwind QHI's then to Chivenor for a Squadron acceptance then onto shift as again the most experienced Wessex pilot as the flight had just converted to the Wessex.

My Seaking convex after one tour on at Chivenor took 3 months with me being an Op Captain 3 months after finishing my Seaking convex. I realise the Seaking is not as serviceable as it was but 9 months for a convex unbelievable

No wonder RAF SAR is deemed too expensive

Even in my time though there were empires to be protected! I arrived at Chivenor in during the snows of 1981 having been delayed due to RAF Benson being cut off. I was told that it was OK as I couldn't have been used anyway as the flight was busy taking USLs of fodder out to the moors. I bit my tongue as I had more USL lifting hours on the Wessex than the ex Whirlwind pilots had hours on the Wessex but hey ho I was joining a new empire!!

As far as there being loads of "SAR" pilots already working in the N Sea - if they haven't done height hold out night drums/wets/decks in zero wind on a pitch black night then they aren't SAR pilots

HF