PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 1st Apr 2013, 05:51
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Tailwheel, I don't share your view that "technology has saved us" what technology has done is eliminated some forms of accident while creating new ones.

Examples? Air France 447 where it appears a pitot enabled air data computer failure completely embuggerised the flight director system and so confused the crew that they could not determin what corrective action should have been taken.

QF A380 that lost a chunk of its data bus and the systems that used it, to the point where only excellent aviation by a former schoolmate saved the ship.

Then there is the ongoing B787 lithium battery saga..

To quote Pogo: "we have met the enemy and he is us" we have created new and more elegant ways to screw up. I agree with you that the probability of accident is vanishingly small, but as Richard Feyneman pointed out it ain't zero.

One wonders if CASA feels, as the management of NASA did, that they can complacently keep going on their merry way because it can't happen here.

I still keep asking myself: what don't I know? I try and learn something new every flight......And now its time for me to find an instructor and go and get current again.