PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 1st Apr 2013, 01:40
Frank Arouet

Location: dans un cercle dont le centre est eveywhere et circumfernce n'est nulle part
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The whole point of the story is that the ATSB was set up in the first place as an independent body
This may seem strange given recent events but ATSB, CASA and Airservices were once all the one, The Department of Civil Aviation, (DCA).

It would be interesting to see how many people were employed in DCA of those days compared to the sum total of the three separate organisations we have today.

As one example, Licences were run by one Lady, (Mrs Giltrap from memory) and a staff of just a few. They handled all licences.

The aviation medical branch today probably has a cast of hundreds. I think there was one Doctor and some admin staff during the 60's.

I'm sure if they were burdened with the ASIC that would be attended to without the mess we have now.

We got free maps and amendment service as well.

DCA also looked after all engineering matters, registrations, home built aircraft, (the Cri Cri was one example), a really high quality crash comic without advertising and edited contributed to by experts.

I can remember booking night circuit time at Bankstown due to the number of aircraft flying and pilot licences have remained pretty static since the 60's to today.

It was normal for light aircraft to frequent Mascot/ Kingsford-Smith airport without charge. In fact there were no landing charges anywhere.

Everything was paid for from consolidated revenue.

I wouldn't object to a return to those days.