PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Barry Hempel Inquest
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2013, 18:48
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like it or not.

Well, I've managed to work through the notes and observations from the last two days of the Hempel hearing. You have to give credit where it is due. Mr. Harvey is a master craftsman: successfully managing to get the Coroner to focus on the medical men and divert attention to the medical systems failure to communicate, very neatly distracted the courts attention away from the real issues. It was a very clever play. I don't like it, but I can acknowledge the guile, nerve and skill.

For instance (all paraphrased) – buried in amongst the white noise was this little gem; ex CASA medico Dr. Liddle on the stand was asked should Hempel have had a medical? – Yep says the good Doc, fully entitled to a class 2 no restrictions. It seems Hempel's own Dr. Spall had only ever requested a restricted class 2 for Hempel. CASA wanted and offered to provide a restricted class one medical.

Just have a think about that for a moment – then you have to acknowledge Harvey earns his keep. The case in a nutshell, swept away in a torrent of 'he said – she said' white noise from doctors unable to remember the fine details of events eight to 10 years go.

Last edited by Kharon; 24th Mar 2013 at 18:50.