PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA save BA money!
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2013, 12:24
Wessexdriver72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well done to this company for deciding to apply the holiday pay ruling to ALL.

I think this is a good thing. Yes, I pay my 1% to a union, but in the spirit of tolerance and understanding, I have no problem whatsoever in wanting ALL of the workforce to benefit from an allowances system which has been proved to be unfair in a court.

BALPA, and other unions do a great deal of good for their members...

Legal Advice & Representation
Industrial Support
Employment issues advice
Free initial personal legal advice
Access to BALPA Financial Solutions
Access to BALPA website and forums
Bi-monthly Log Magazine!!

Lots of advice and support on offer. But some individuals have different circumstances and attitudes and don't feel that they need this support. Or maybe they have their own support networks and don't feel that they can justify the cost of this added 'insurance'. That's fine! There's no right or wrong answer.

As for negotiating Ts&Cs with an employer, if you go it alone it may be difficult or impossible to effect a change. The company may not negotiate with an individual. You'll just have to accept what's been given.

Whereas I know that I have a team of capable chaps who will fight the battles for me. Yes, they sometimes get it wrong, or misread the sentiments of their members, or are boxed into a 'poor' settlement by the company, but by and large I have the security of knowing that they are on my side, and personally speaking they remove a level of anxiety from my life.

So whilst I understand that the union's job is to look after its members, I certainly do not begrudge ANY of those who benefit from its collective bargaining power.