PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 10th Mar 2013, 23:33
my oleo is extended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Triplets

Kharon, Skymaster, Pel Air and Transair particularly contain similar 'behind the scenes' issues that have already been highlighted previously, but safety (lack of), complacency, training and poor culture have been sighted as issues within all 3 operators at the time of their accidents. Although PIC's have received the majority of the scrutiny, it is the underlying issues similar in nature which causes the most concern.
You see, in the USA when Colgan crashed it brought to the fore a number of issues that were out there in industry which contributed to that accident. As a result, changes were made and the birth of HF really escalated.
But in AUS, you have a number of major systemic issues exposed by these accidents with what result? Heads in the sand and deflection.
Pel Air had a 'special audit. The results = pony poo
Skymaster also had a 'special audit' done. The results = pony poo.
Transair, after the accident they too received special audits, the result = pony poo.
All three operators had been previously subject to CASA audits, yet it was only after the accident that in-depth issues were uncovered. Kind of makes you wonder that had CASA's surveillance and auditing been of a quality standard maybe some of these accidents would never occurred.
Actually it doesn't make one wonder, it is pretty obvious that the Regulator had been doing a completely pi#s poor effort. But that is where we used to have the ATSB, the 'one you could trust' produce excellent investigative result which more often than not cited what we all know - the Regulator was not doing its job.

Maybe the Senators will kick a goal, maybe they won't. But most who work in this industry are in agreement that if the system is not fixed soon it will lead to a complete failure. A giant smoking hole is the next move on the chess board.

Last edited by my oleo is extended; 10th Mar 2013 at 23:42. Reason: Slightly distracted by a warm sunrise, the some JetA1, an aircraft with minimal MEL's and only half a pax load. It's a good life.