PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Living in Hong Kong and Working for Cathay Pacific
Old 10th Mar 2013, 10:54
ChinaBeached

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fair point. Replace "tiniest" perhaps with "what was needed" for a comprehensive understanding of the topic: just as should be done for the other topics of aerodynamics, met, the airline, etc. I saw flying to HK to get the answers I needed was but one way to place me in the best stead for the interview and job I sought.

No. The few web sites I demonstrated showed that factual information is out there. Just like a TAF, it shows a "best guess" from expert analysis. But like the wx, carry some contingency fuel and always leave yourself an out with more than one approach for when the "expert guess" / forecast is wrong, or for other unplanned circumstances. If the flightplan (or contract!) doesn't offer that then sometimes a pilot needs to know when to say NO.

I too had a full time job flying 90-95 hrs a month. I took annual leave to go to HK. The same workload when studying for the rest of the prep. Candle burnt at both ends for around 2+ months, but that was what it took and what those before me did as well. Nothing special or outside of the then norm.

Good luck and I hope you can get out. Stay FAR away from that agency you mentioned. Similar but maybe even worse than CX and how they treat a legal black & white contract.

Last edited by ChinaBeached; 10th Mar 2013 at 12:10.