PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2013, 19:15
Bushranger 71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Lonewolf 50. Aye, I omitted mention of UAVs which also get reference in some of the literature that has originated from within Australian DoD circles.

The RAN shed 2 aircraft carriers years back, although one of them was extensively used for logistic support throughout the Vietnam War. With aircraft embarked, they were of course very costly to operate for a pretty small Navy, now manned by around 16,000 personnel.

But having since acquired LPDs with a ski-jump ramp, they do have some flexibility if the below deck layout is configured more for aircraft support than ground forces transportation. Embarking sizeable land force components/assets on a single platform is not a great idea in my view - as demonstrated in the Falklands War - and Australia could have done with lesser capacity amphibious support vessels. But the 2 x Canberra class carriers are an expensive reality now and best use must be made of them.

By the way, my background is Air Force not Navy, but I find carrier ops a very interesting topic.