PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK time to upgrade
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2013, 07:04
Kennytheking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr White,

In short, no. Emirates does not take into account any previous experience for the upgrade, other than a requirement to have more than 6 000 hours. Better experience may help to get you in the door as an FO but once you are in, everyone on your fleet is equal.

Your upgrade is limited by the requirement for 3 years and 2 500 in the company & on EK aircraft. Thereafter, you get to join the queue of qualified first officers, who are taken in turn according to seniority.

This can and does change but judging by what is happening on the FO recruitment thread here, it would appear that EK are having the pick of the crop when it comes to experienced pilots to employ(yourself a case in point).

I doubt that even Emirates could give you an accurate estimate of your upgrade time. That said, EK is a substantial and growing force in the airline world. I would rather be here than anywhere else(I don't know QR, so I cannot comment on them). You simply need to decide if you can live here as an FO for an extended period, which could be anything from 3 to 10 years, but most probably something in the middle.

Last edited by Kennytheking; 6th Mar 2013 at 13:04.