PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Va Maneuvering
Thread: Va Maneuvering
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2013, 02:02
Oktas8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, according to the manual, you can make full or abrupt movements before Vo. As far as I can understand, no, you can not!!!
The definitions of Va and other terms do change slightly from time to time, which may be why current AFMs don't seem to mention Vo. Also, I would never obey an article on the internet in preference to the manufacturer's instructions. I'm sure you feel the same way!

That said, I have taught in the past that Va protects from full or abrupt control movements. At Va you may do full or you may do abrupt, but not both together. This is often overly conservative advice, but it takes into account the reality that Va is not a bullet-proof panacea.

Edit: this idea that Va relates only to control surface strength is a new one to me. There seems no point at all in measuring and publishing a number that protects against elevator surface failure, but oh dear, so sorry your engine broke off, we didn't measure that. Vo, the varies-with-weight one, varies with weight in order to protect non-aerodynamic parts such as engine mounts.

Last edited by Oktas8; 3rd Mar 2013 at 02:08.