PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 3rd Mar 2013, 00:29
macs86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all.

Thanks very much that is very useful advice. At the end of the day my preferred choice would be modular, not just because its cheaper but also because I could do it closer to home and do a few locum shifts in my current job (im a doctor in the NHS) to make some more cash while undergoing flight training which would further reduce my financial headache.

BUT at the end of the day I am making quite a pretty massive commitment (both career-wise and financially) by doing this and my primary aim is to actually get a job! The fact that the job market is so shaky worries me, a lot, but it’s a risk I have decided to take. What I really want to do is minimise that risk as much as I can. I have read a LOT of views about this on these forums and lots of people (I have to say most of them without a job) seem to support modular. However there are quite a few comments that i have collected from across the pprune forums (many from this thread) that do make me think twice about which is best.....

Since completing my modular cpl/ir in 2009, I sent out my cv and applications to all the airlines and charter companies I could find across the world. I heard back from 4 in total
And

As for a modular fATPL: it seems to be untouchable these days (not in yesteryear)
And

I'm all for people training on a modular basis, but I really question how you will get a job in the current environment.
And

EZY/BA/TCX/Monarch etc. - don't touch modular.
Now compare this with

I know lots of people flying for Monarch due to CTC
and

I don't think many people will deny that your chances of employment post-qualification are higher if you go through CTC or OAA
and

If you have the money, CTC is the way to go.]
Now, I know that there are some comments the other way round, but less so. Sadly (for me) I am not one of the much disliked rich kids whose parents have paid for them to go integrated. However I am in the fortunate position of having worked hard for many years and have a (relatively) well paid job as a doctor. Having said that I am likely to have to borrow which ever way I do this, but I can go back to working as a doc while im in the ‘holding pool’, pretty much indefinitely. With this in mind I am finding this a very difficult choice to make. I really WANT the answer here to be modular, but it seems like (for better of worse) the bottom here line is that if your looking to work for a big airline with fairly few hours integrated seems to be a safer bet. I really do value the advice of ppruners, and any you have for me would be greatly appreciated. Please tell me i've got this totally wrong!?

Thanks all for the advice.