PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2013, 04:20
Jetpilot213

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Life in Hong Kong and Working for Cathay

Mediums,
I'm a bit surprised by your comments. It doesn't seem like you realize that I have a family to provide for, or that you may have one to provide for in the future, too. Not even cabin crew live off $5000 hkd per month, and they get a free place to stay in the Gold Coast. That is below the poverty level. The job of a Cathay pilot is not a job you trust to someone who can only sweep the street. It's a professional job. It is a job for those who are able to handle the decision making and responsibilities that come with the job. And, the pay should be commensurate with the responsibility. Also, it should be commensurate with the money you are making for the company. The company effectively cut new joiner's pay in half compared to just a few years ago, but I can guarantee that someone in the higher echelons got a fat bonus for doing so. Is that the system you are so desperate to join?

I handle my finances quite well. The only debts I have are my home, and all payments are made on time. We usually cook at home, and the last time I went to a fancy restaurant was when I took my wife out for Valentine's day. When I say the food is expensive, I'm talking about going out and buying good, clean quality produce and cooking at home. I didn't even mention eating out. I'm not an excessive spender. My take-home between Cathay and my previous job are very similar. Yet, the lifestyle in Hong Kong does not compare with the lifestyle back home.

Sure, the smog and particulate in the air and the water won't kill me in 10 years, but neither will smoking 5 packs of cigarettes per day. But, it could put me in a wheel chair sooner, with lung disease. What about the more subtle effects of those chemicals on brain function? How about the long term effects on your muscles? How about on the development of my children? And, since I like to stay fit, it's a concern because going for a run means I'm breathing in that stuff at a more rapid rate. When we descent from FL390, into Hong Kong there is a point when you can SMELL the Hong Kong air coming in the cockpit. Let me just say it is not a refreshing smell. When I get off the plane in places like Adelaide, that air smells clean and fresh. There is a very very very significant difference. But, if you've lived in Hong Kong your whole life, you don't realize this because Hong Kong is all you know.

Sham Shui Po is not equivalent to a Bunnings or Home Depot. You can waste a lot of time wandering from shop to shop, looking for goods that just don't have the same level of quality. And, the people lack expertise. Sure, you can find super cheap stuff, but if I wanted to live a "super cheap" life, why come to Hong Kong? I could get a low paying job in my own country, and live a much better life. Why would anyone leave their home country and family for a worse opportunity? Let me say, I thought this was going to be a good opportunity, but with the experience I have gained, I can say that it is not. Even I can't argue with my own experience.

Let me say this, if you're from Hong Kong, they KNOW that you'll take the job, because you're desperate for anything. They know you would live at home with mom and dad who would still pay your bills and make your dinner. They will take advantage of this as much as they can. A bit racist, don't you think?