PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR to SYD Options
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2013, 14:33
Heathrow Harry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"What specifically is wrong with flying via Moscow? I've read some horror stories about Aeroflot, but they have been offering some ridiculously cheap fares between mainland Europe and Hong Kong which have been tempting me over the past few months. I hear Sheremetyevo has recently opened up a new terminal which makes transit less painful - has anyone experienced this recently (I.e. in the past 12 months)?

Also, I've read that it's possible to obtain a transit visa on arrival which would enable a passenger in transit to leave the airport for a few hours to explore Moscow - is this an option available to UK passport holders? (sorry for the thread drift but its a slightly related topic)..."

The flights have always been one of the cheapest (if not THE cheapest) ways from Europe to S asia/ Australia - but the service is highly variable and sometimes non-existant, if something goes wrong you can get stuck and Moscow is a hellishly expensive place if you have to find a hotel at the last minute. And the idea of volunteering to line up for a visa on arrival..................

No thanks