PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Wonderful Sunday
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2013, 08:35
Halton Brat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the Gnat era at Valley, you could hardly blow your nose loudly on a Sunday, due to the sensitivities of the Chapel fraternity on the island of Anglesey.

As a 'rough shooter', my shotgun had to stay in its' case on the Sabbath; OK, you might think, let us partake of a modest libation in a local hostelry. Well, the pubs were closed on Sundays - we Blue jobs had access though to the usual array of Mess bars & on-station Underwater Basket Weaving Club etc bars. Those who were most affected by this bizarre rule were the tourists of course, who had no access to such venues. Oh yes, and it was a holiday destination...........

I remember my girlfriend & I being rebuked by an elderly gentleman in an Anglesey village for actually travelling in my car on the Sabbath; this would be about 1973/74.

So, dmussen, perhaps you could clarify your post with a few more details, such as how you were able to launch 16 of my beloved Gnats on the Sabbath? The Station Commander would have been buried free of charge in one of the numerous local Chapel graveyards, methinks.

HB