PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2013, 11:29
Deebeedoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey folks,

I applied for Direct Entry Pilot early last year which resulted in a 12 month wait as I didn't pass Assessment Day (though he only applied it for officer entry, and he encouraged me to go for a general entry position if I wished). I was going for ACO in the beginning as top preference with Pilot being my third (I was always interested in being a Pilot, but all I knew was how competitive it was and before I did further research and found out that it wasn't so unrealistic to gain entry).

I completed my Aircrew testing and came out as one of the four to succeed out of the 10 (2 applying for Pilot, Myself for ACO, and one who I believe was going for ATC, though I could be wrong). When my Case Manager contacted me in regards to my results, he suggested that I should change my preferences to Pilot being first, ACO being second, and removing my general entry application, which I did. Knowing that my motivation was going to be a very important component to be assessed, this change of preferences was a glaringly big weakness when it came to my interviews. I did a few hours flying and studied this site (and others) in the time between my YOU session and Assessment Day, but I imagine it was too little, too late.

Anyway, I got through my psych without any problems and I felt as though I managed to talk my way through most of the issues in the interview, but it quite basically boiled down to a lack of management experience. Although he didn't state it, I also believe motivation was a let down (I previously dropped out of university years ago. Primarily because my current work gave far better opportunities in the time I would have spent studying to complete my degree. I explained it in detail and he was convinced. It wasn't ideal but he was content with the circumstances.)

I'll be reapplying very soon, and in that time I've picked up a management position at my workplace (20~ I'm directly responsible for, 130~ employees at our location, 200,000+ nationwide), a Cert IV in Frontline Management and Cert IV in Training & Assessment (both paid by myself), and plan to continue on to a Diploma in Management.

Realistically, would this work well for me and get me through to Flight Screening? My interviewer stated that my lack of management experience was basically what let me down and although my knowledge and experience in other areas were good (and he stated that the results from my aircrew assessment made me very competitive), he said both he and I would get chewed up by the OSB if they got an applicant going for a direct entry officer position who had no management experience.

Could I hazard a guess that direct entry candidates are held to a different (not higher or lower) standard than ADFA applicants?

Thanks in advance guys, and good luck to any future applicants.