PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2013, 20:31
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Danny and his Battle of Britain day

Please excuse the thread drift but Danny has awakened memories that should raise a smile or two here and there.

The Lancaster, as a momento.

I once was privileged to work as a team leader on Field Repair Squadron (FRS) the old 71 MU at RAF Abingdon. I was tasked as gang boss on the team who were to overhaul the wings of PA474, at Abingdon. A real bonus as most of our jobs involved weeks away from home. The job was scheduled for around 6 months duration, and would involve removing all structure from the mainplanes down to the main and rear spars, removal of corrosion from the spars and the rebuild, by replacement, of all structure removed for access. At Abingdon we had the only Station Workshops who could manufacture replacement structure up to primary structure. They were exceptionally good.

The job was very interesting, I discovered that our Lancaster had a Lincoln undercarriage, and across the wing Merlins of various Mks and output. All adding to my admiration of the aircrew in keeping it going.

As a result of our "deconstruction" of the wings, we found ourselves in possession of a large amount of genuine Lancaster structure, that someone suggested would make good "souvineers", suitably cut to a reasonable size and mounted on a piece of varnished wood, a certificate would complete the ensemble, adding to its attractiveness at the coming Battle of Britain at home day. The B of B organisers decided this was a good idea and so every piece of Lanc, was sent to Station Workshops for duplication (for rebuild) and mounting (for sale at B of B). FRS however had Cat3 repairs going on all over the UK, and bits of metal various were turning up from all over. To my certain knowledge many Canberra structural samples were "added" unwittingly to the growing pile of Lancaster souvineers. It was always a source of fun to me and the 50 plus tradesmen who worked on the project that someone would be very proud of their bit of Lanc, which was really a bit of Canberra. Suffice to say I paid £10 myself for a bit, and have no idea of its provenance. So much for horse meat in Beefburgers !!!

Smudge

Last edited by smujsmith; 4th Feb 2013 at 22:33.