PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ferry Pilots from "Dengerous Flights" TV show on Discovery
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 11:56
bzwebner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a Ferry Pilot based in the USA (www.theferrypilot.com). I've been contacted by the producers of the show a few times, and even by some of their pilots.

They are desperate for flights to finish filming their third season.
The way it works is that they are looking for companies like mine to "donate" flights to their TV program. They told me that they will present it as my flight but that I "NEEDED" to hire the help of one of their mainstay pilots on the show in order to complete the job (coming to my aid!).
Their pilot will fly the flight for me, and I will get a mention in the credits. (who says I can trust them? I saw an episode when they buzz a waterfall in a clients aircraft because it was "a cool shot"!)

I told them that I dont mind if they tag along during a flight but it would be ME at the controls. (I take my good reputation very seriously and wont compromise it for a TV spot) but when it came to compensation, they werent willing to offer anything!

I then asked them why they think sitting in a Cessna, droning along for hours on end is interesting. The producer told me, and I quote: "Dont worry, we will edit the drama in!"

Suuuurrreeee... make it look like I am flying unsafely, my clients and the FAA inspectors who will watch the show will LOOOOOVE that !

On top of all that, in addition to the actual ferry, they want to do a full day of shooting "Air to Air" shots for fill in segments here and there AND interview the pilot at each fuel stop. That wastes time, time is money! Why would I waste my clients money with this crap?

If the show offered me some financial incentive that I can then pass along to my clients to make it worth their while and if they let me fly MY flights that I work hard to secure, then maybe I would participate. But just for the sake of having a TV spot... nope.

Speaking with the production company really opened my eyes to how "reality TV" works. Like all reality TV, take it with a grain of salt.